Tonight: Forum on Transportation and Land Use in Seattle’s Climate Action Plan

Last minute notice, I know, but tonight at 6:30 at City Hall, as part of developing a new Climate Action Plan, the City of Seattle is hosting a forum on what we can do to reduce the climate impact of our transportation and land use. With panelists Rob Johnson of TCC, David Cutler of the Seattle Planning Commission, and Maggie Wykowski of Puget Sound Sage, the discussion should be in line with the things we write about.

There’s an opportunity for public input tonight, but not just in person. Online, you can read about the city’s goal of carbon neutrality by 2050, development of the new Climate Action Plan, and you can comment! Even saying “more electric transit” or “more density” helps, as there will inevitably be comments to the contrary.

Definitely comment below if you’re already planning to go – I know a few of our regular readers will be there.

Comments

1. Matt L (aka Angry Transit Nerd) says

And while you’re at City Hall, you can also visit the open house to learn about Seattle’s plans to put a streetcar in the 1st Avenue post-Viaduct gridlock.

• Ben Schiendelman says

Given that I’m a stakeholder on that project, I want to say – a lot of our work will be *taking a damn lane* for the thing, so that people have another way through the gridlock.

• Justin Elder says

Please take that lane! Also, could you please tell us if there is any sort of advocating we can do or meetings to attend (other than tonight’s, of course) to get that lane?

• Ben Schiendelman says

I don’t know of anything else specific yet, but I’ll make a point of posting when I find out.

2. Mike Orr says

This is at the same time as the downtown streetcar open house, so you can kill two birds with one stone. The streetcar event starts at 5:30, with a presentation 6-6:30, so you can arrive early to see the exhibits, and then after the presentation go to the climate forum.

Bummer. Wish I’d known about this in advance – I’d love to go to that streetcar meeting but I have conflicting plans. How early do they publicize this stuff? I’ve only started following the seattle transit blog recently.

• Ben Schiendelman says

I apologize – I heard about it several days ago, but didn’t have time to write about it.

4. Mike Orr says

I went to the Center City Connector meeting but it started and ended late, so the climate haring was half over by the time I got to it and I decided to watch it online instead. There were maybe fifty people at the City Connector meeting although I didn’t count, but there were more people than chairs so larger than expected.

This connector study is about the entire scope of downtown circulation and connection to other transit, so comments about all that and which streets and modes to study are fair game. I don’t see a due date for comments so if you have any I’d get them in right away to tony.mazzella or allison.schwartz at seattle.gov.

The initial proposals are a 4th-and-5th Avenue couplet, a 1st Avenue line to Seattle Center (Republican or Roy), and a 1st-to-Westlake connecting at Pike, Pine, Stewart, and/or Virginia. I thought Seattle Center was only for a later phase, so I asked Mr Mazzella whether going all the way to Seattle Center was within the scope of this project, or even both that and the east-west tracks, and he said yes. The public input on the group-brainstorm sheets was also 50% in favor of a 1st Avenue line to Seattle Center, with the rest distributed about evenly among the other options. Several people also favored bus or trolleybus as lower-cost, and putting all effort into a 3rd Avenue transit mall.

Initially I supported 5th Avenue and then 1st to Westlake, but when I saw that 1st to Seattle Center was a first-phase possibility I’m leaning toward that. It would overlap least with already-frequent corridors, especially now that all buses have been moved off 1st except the pathetic 99. It could run as a single line with the First Hill streetcar, and connect many tourist destinations. (Pike Place, SAM, waterfront/ferries, Seattle Center, Intl Dist station, Chinatown) The SLU streetcar is just difficult, so maybe we should make connecting to it second priority if there’s money left over. It can always be included in the Westlake or Eastlake extension projects if they happen. It also avoids the dilemma of 5th Ave being too overlapping and Westlake-1st-Jackson looking so indirect (“You spent all that money on more zigzags?”).

An irate citizen burst in to yell at Mr Mazzella about losing parking on Jackson Street or something like that, so I asked another SDOT rep (Ms Schwartz?) about Madison-BRT and the Yesler 3&4 improvements. Both were on the TMP map in the exhibit. She said Madison-BRT planning is just getting started, and she guessed its first open house might be in the fall. She didn’t remember Yesler being on the schedule at all yet, so it looks like it’s prioritized behind the others.

• Kyle S. says

Maybe if we build the Seattle Center streetcar line, LQA residents will stop complaining about their god-given RapidRide D deviation.

(I’d actually prefer if it didn’t go to the Center itself. Methinks we’re going to see some redevelopment of that land in the next decade or two.)

• William says

I’d prefer if it did. Tourists would love a way to travel between there and First Avenue. And, even if it does get redeveloped, whatever replaces it could probably benefit from a streetcar.

Unless you’ve got a better destination?

• Kyle S. says

Tourists have the monorail, and the streetcar could still stop in front of the Key Arena.

It is perfectly fine for transit to serve the edges of a destination, rather than having to build a station smack dab in the middle of every attraction, hence why I’m perfectly okay with UW being served by two stations rather than one at the HUB.

• Kyle S. says

As for the “better destination”, how about the commercial and residential district that we know as Lower Queen Anne (or, to some of us, Uptown)? No need to make regular users walk to the Seattle Center for the sake of a few tourists.