This post originally appeared on Orphan Road.
A press release from SDOT shows that reducing the number of traffic lanes on Stone Way has been a success all around. You’ll recall that when the restriping was proposed 4 years ago, property owners on the street freaked out that there wouldn’t be enough room for traffic if the street went from 4 lanes to 3. Needless to say, those fears haven’t come to pass:
- Motor vehicles now travel at speeds nearer the legal limit;
- Total collisions dropped 14 percent with injury collisions down 33 percent;
- Pedestrian collisions declined significantly;
- Bike trips increased 35 percent but collisions per bicycle trip have declined; and
- Volumes show the roadway still easily accommodates motor vehicle traffic.
Full report here (pdf).