Sound Transit announced plans on Tuesday to construct approximately 277 additional bicycle parking spaces over the next 16 months. Funded by federal grants, the 173 lockers and 104 rack spaces (13 racks, 8 spaces per rack) will be placed at selected park & rides, Link stations, and Sounder stations.
Cycling investments such as these are some of the easiest and most cost-effective means of combating the ‘last-mile’ problem, especially at far flung suburban park & rides. For a cost of $464,000 (or $1,675 per space) they’re not exactly cheap, yet they cost a tiny fraction of the same number of car spaces and they leave a small physical footprint on station areas. Anything that makes non-SOV multimodality more attractive has our support.
The locations are:
- Auburn Station, 28 lockers
- Columbia City Station, 7 lockers and 2 racks (2010), and 46 more lockers and 1 more rack (2011)
- DuPont Park & Ride, 6 lockers and 1 rack
- Federal Way Transit Center, 8 lockers
- Kent Station, 22 lockers
- Lynnwood Transit Center, 20 lockers and 4 racks
- Mercer Island Park & Ride, 4 lockers
- Othello Station, 8 lockers and 2 racks
- Rainier Beach Station, 16 lockers
- South Everett Freeway Station, 3 racks
- South Hill Park & Ride, 8 lockers