Here is some news on Amtrak in the past couple of days.
- Amtrak has received $1.5 billion in the President’s budget. It is expected that Amtrak will overhaul 70 Amfleet I cars in Bear, Delaware with the additional stimulus funding along with new corridor equipment. The Amfleets would provide an additional 5,880 seats to Amtrak. Amtrak has already begun hiring for employees for the overhaul.
- Leavenworth Station construction starts this Spring with a opening in the Fall
- Stanwood Station also starts construction this Spring with a opening in September
- All aboard!! More climbing aboard Amtrak for cheaper travel.
- Edmonds Crossing could happen but focusing mainly on the station and bus portion instead of the full deal.
- There is a lot of steam behind a movement to restore the Amtrak Pioneer, The Hermiston Herald has a good editorial on it and a search on Google reveals a heavy search in the past year from states along the entire route that would like to see the train return.
- Amtrak drops fare on the high-end Acela to be more competitive