From time to time, we’ve posted job openings of interest to the many professionals that read our articles. But today, there’s a somewhat different — and more personal — opportunity.
For almost two years, the generosity of our donors has allowed us to hire Zach Shaner on a part-time basis. You’ve all read the output of that arrangement, which exceeded my wildest expectations. But Zach is now moving on to a better opportunity than we can give him, and we have an opening.
— Michael C. Lindblom (@MikeLindblom) May 4, 2017
We’re looking for a skilled writer with an interest in transit and land use issues open to a part-time position. He or she would be responsible for several pieces a week, although hours (and therefore output) are negotiable. Reporting skills are more important than domain expertise. However, knowledge of the local political terrain, transit operations, and land use issues are assets. Outside of the land use and transit beats, you’d be free to use the remainder of your time to pursue other writing opportunities.
- Pitch unique stories and follow up on leads
- Take assignments from designated officers
- Cover breaking news
- Establish and maintain relationships/sources
- Manage social media channels as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least 1 year of reporting, blogging or similar experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible schedule
- Able to succeed with light supervision
- Knowledge of relevant local politics, transit, and land use issues a huge plus
Salary depends on experience, but we’re competitive with many other media outlets. If you’d like to give it a shot, send an email with a resume and three writing samples to email@example.com by May 22nd.