Minimum Salary: $12.51 per hour
Maximum Salary: $21.77 per hour
Posted Date: 09/14/2017 – open until filled
Preference will be given to applications received by September 27th.
This Transportation Planning Intern will assist staff in the City of Redmond’s Transportation Planning & Engineering Division (TP&E) to plan and deliver multimodal transportation projects and programs in this growing community and regional jobs center. Major projects underway light rail station area planning, long-range transportation project list development, and the development of Downtown Redmond into a mixed use urban center.
TP&E is in particular need of assistance in two skill areas:
- Cartography, graphics, and urban design. This includes the ability to use ArcGIS and Adobe Illustrator to create polished, professional-quality map products. Other responsibilities include graphic design for planning documents, document production, and 3D renderings. Design experience (e.g. layout of a streetscape) is a plus.
- Geospatial analysis, statistical analysis, and data management. This includes intermediate to expert level of experience with ArcGIS, including the Network Analyst tool. The successful applicant will be able to create network datasets and use them to quantify the benefits of transportation investment, among other GIS tasks. Also needed is a strong familiarity with Excel and the ability to construct advanced spreadsheets. Experience with MS Access is a plus.
Depending on the pool of applicants, TP&E may hire more than one intern to ensure that these areas of expertise are covered. It is not necessary to be proficient in both areas to be considered for employment.
Other duties may include:
- Research into transportation policy, standards and practices, and related topics
- Memo and report composition
- Clerical tasks such as data entry
- Field data collection
- Database development and maintenance
This position does not have a significant civil engineering component.
Hours and Duration:
This is a temporary, at-will position. The position duration is dependent on work availability and candidate interest. This position will work up to 29 hours per week, as needed, and up to 1040 hours per calendar year. The weekly schedule can vary to accommodate academic commitments.
Must be a recent graduate or currently working toward a degree or certification in urban planning, urban design, civil engineering or a closely related field.
Basic understanding of urban planning and transportation planning and operations, including pedestrian, bicycle, automobile, and transit; transportation planning context in Redmond and Washington State.
Maintaining a high level of accuracy and quality control; demonstrating an interest and willingness to learn independently; use of computer software including Outlook, Word, Excel/Access and ArcGIS; data entry and analysis skills.
Collect, record, and maintain data; generate maps and conduct analyses in ArcGIS; prepare written reports; work independently and cooperatively with others; communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers.
Licenses and Requirements:
Valid Washington State driver’s license by date of hire, and a driving record that meets City standards.
Work is performed mostly in an office with occasional tasks in the field. Field conditions may include working in inclement weather. Some physical hazards exist in exposure to traffic, heavy equipment, noise and obstacles in the right-of-way.
City of Redmond Values:
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application.
The City may review existing application pools to fill this position, or use this pool to fill future vacancies.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Background Authorization Form.