This weekend train fans should head down to Freighthouse Square in Tacoma. Sound Transit is showing off Sounder at the event hosted by Tacoma Northwestern Model Railroad Club and Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad. Should be fun, especially for the kids. Details from Sound Transit below the jump.
Train fans, come and join us May 14th and 15th:
You won’t want to miss a weekend of train-related events in Tacoma! From special tours of one of our modern Sounder trains to excursions on a restored vintage steam engine train to model train layouts, there’s something fun planned for the whole family.
Join us at Freighthouse Square both Saturday and Sunday for these FREE fun activities:
- Tour a Sounder train, including a cab car
- Meet Sound Transit mascot Zap Gridlock and win prizes
- Enjoy live Dixieland music (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.)
- Learn about current Sound Transit train and bus service, as well as plans to extend the Sounder line to South Tacoma and Lakewood with service scheduled to begin in 2012
Other events to choo-choo-choose from:
- Tacoma Northwestern Model Railroad Club Show and Swap Meet
- Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad steam train rides
- Freighthouse Square’s Second Saturday Spectacular with guest vendors, artisans, crafters and more
We encourage you to take transit to the Tacoma Dome Station, across from Freighthouse Square. Find your best transit options using the trip planner .